Monday, December 13, 2010

Assessment One - last post (I hope)


Here I have taken the marking criteria and attempted to match to what I have done over the semester.

I don't think I have a good job of this but I must remember my trepidation at doing this course. I had explained to Oriel that I would only do one this semester as Evaluation would play 'second fiddle' to any other.

Picture to show feelings

(Not many can say they have an inflatable Scream to provide a picture)


Investigate evaluation theory and processes in your context - Okay I know about ADDIE and think that is theory I definitely saw as something I could understand. A needs evaluation fitted my situation but I will be interested to see how the other forms of evaluation worked for others as I didn’t get a chance to really get a grip with what other were doing especially in the case of Jon and Kevin’s. I also would be interested to see how they relate to Bronwyn’s comments about how things can be done differently next year. They fact that Jon had to take the lead so much from Kevin (the situation dictated it) and also the issue they had with contacting past students. I felt they had a lot more bridges to cross than maybe other groups.

I found the whole evaluation theory interesting in relation to my work place as I don’t think it is always something that is done to any great level with just maybe just the surveys done and results not always looked at (I came across an example at school while doing my report). Presenting the final report won’t happen until next year and again in what form it will take I will not know.

· Demonstrate evidence of reflective learning about the process of evaluation - this was an area I felt I worked at a lot at as evaluation in this context was new to me. Normally I would look at my lessons, children's learning but not in a more holistic wider approach as required by this course and the assessment that we needed to complete.

In one blog post as I was deciding on what was to be the topic I looked at how 'tools vs. purpose'. I looked at the school situation, talked to colleagues, talked to others in a similar situation and also looked at documentation that would help my understanding further. This also allowed me to change my original ideas. I still feel further work will be needed in the future about tools but purpose and in this case professional development played a greater part.

I have looked at eLearning guidelines; related them and used them within my report.

* Reports and reflects on the progress of the evaluation project – I have regularly given updates on how my project is going and also what steps were to be undertaken next. The language and pictures used were aimed at lighten the mood.

* Critiques at least two other evaluation projects of participants in the course.

I worked constantly with another course member to construct our joint report. In a way this was a critique as it involved looking at another's work along side your own.

I regularly commented on others work both on the discussion page when the projects were being created and within the blog: sometimes the purpose was to communicate about issues you were having. Other times it was to reflect on what they had written.

On the completion of reports I have commented on others’ work.

* Discusses and critiques the findings of their evaluation project – I did this briefly on the discussion page on wikieducator and also in my second to last blog post. This I did not feel I have done as well as time I felt did not allow for a full and frank discussion as such reports should be given.

Well everyone have a good break and I hope to meet some of you next semester or in the real world. Thanks Bronwyn for you vampire skills. I need to acknowledge my husband support here - proof reading and playing solo dad on a number of occasions. I will leave you with a picture of our shared desk which will see became multiscreened (most I have had is 3) something I highly recommend.


2 comments:

  1. Multi screen is essential Katie - It's the only way i can work - though i must admit i've haven't gone over the standard two!

    Love how you have summed up all your evaluation activity over the past few months - great reflective practice - perhaps something we should all do!

    Have a great Christmas and New Years - it's been a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie this is a wonderful post, and an excellent summary of the evaluation highlights. One way to do this which I am going to build into the blogs assessment next year is for you to hyperlink to previous posts about the various topics.

    Vampire skills indeed - still the blood theme I see. I really like Sookie in the Vampire Tv series called True Blood. Are you familiar with it? Have an excellent holiday - goodness knows you deserve it! It's been a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete