Monday, September 20, 2010

Questions - getting them right


I just tried to some work on quality but having problems downloading so will look at questions - the questions you ask to get an understanding of the situation.

These are a set of questions that I found in the chapter Bronwyn send us and I have tried to keep these in mind.




Reeves, Thomas, C. & John G. Hedberg (2003). ''Interactive Learning Systems Evaluation.'' Englewood Cliffs: Educational Publications.

The questions are not always easy but I was interested that one course colleague mentioned that if she used 'Survey Monkey' it only allowed 10 questions when using the free option. I quickly checked how many I had and then thought 'Why would you want to ask more?'.

I have just spend ages trying to find a quote I liked but will have to just guess - it basically said that the questions are not set in stone and must allow for the direction the interview goes. I also liked what Reeves said when you gather this information 'obtain ranking of information from each person for whom you speak'.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,

    I have used surveymonkey for a couple of years now as it is so easy to teach other people how to use it.
    I agree with you, in my experience, ten questions is usually enough as you can always send a sub-set out if needed to a smaller group.

    That is interesting. What page is that on? I have the book on my desk at the moment. It is a bit scary though. ;-)

    Kind regards,

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new favourite instead of "Why?" is "So, tell me more ..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Rachel Why seems so direct doesn't it? Katie - The list of questions is handy isn't it? Getting the overview is a good way to approach a needs analysis. Great referencing.

    ReplyDelete